“The redwoods, as soon as seen, go away a mark or create a imaginative and prescient that stays with you all the time. Nobody has ever efficiently painted or photographed a redwood tree. The sensation they produce shouldn’t be transferable. From them comes silence and awe. It’s not solely their unbelievable stature, nor the colour which appears to shift and range below your eyes, no, they don’t seem to be like all bushes we all know, they’re ambassadors from one other time.”
~ John Steinbeck, “Travels With Charley – In Search of America”
The Redwood Creek Path is an out-and-back hike that may be completed as both a day journey or an in a single day backpacking tour. The scenic spotlight of the stroll is the Tall Timber Grove, a exceptional assortment of historic redwoods that was famously featured in Nationwide Geographic in 1963. The widespread consideration created by the article helped the world to finally be designated a Nationwide Park in 1968.
I hiked the Redwood Creek Path in mid-September 2021, as a part of a sequence of quick walks within the Redwoods area (together with the James Irvine and Miner’s Ridge Loop, the Boy Scout Path in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, and a combo of the Prairie Creek, Brown Creek, Foothill Path & Rhododendron Trails). I used to be joined on the journey by good buddies Mike Unger, Naomi Hudetz, and Whitney “Allgood” LaRuffa.
At a Look
Distance: 25.4 km (15.8 mi)
Common Period: 1 or 2 days
Problem Stage: Straightforward
Begin/End: Redwood Creek Trailhead Parking (41.2992260, -124.0337130)
Getting There & Away:
- To entry the Redwood Creek Trailhead, take HWY 101 north from the tiny city of Orick. After simply over a mile, head east on Bald Hills Highway for one more 0.4 miles to a signed junction. Flip proper, and take this paved highway for one more 0.5 miles to the trailhead parking space (Amenities – restrooms, trash cans, and path register).
- All-year-round. June to September gives the very best likelihood of sunny climate. The remainder of the yr is cooler and wetter, however on the flip aspect is much less crowded and permits are normally not a difficulty. Tip: Attempt to keep away from weekends and college holidays. Late spring and early fall supply an excellent stability between usually clear circumstances, delicate temps, and comparatively few folks on the path.
- Permits: For those who’re doing the hike in sooner or later, you’ll want a allow for the Tall Timber Grove. For those who plan to camp on the Redwood Creek gravel bar (see Sleeping beneath) you’ll additionally require a backcountry allow from the Redwood Nationwide and State Parks web site. Each permits have to be organized upfront.
- GPX Knowledge: Redwood Creek Path – Alltrails, GaiaGPS
- Character: The Redwood Creek Path follows its namesake watercourse, passing by a lush riparian hall of hemlock, spruce, bigleaf maples, and, after all, previous and second-growth redwoods. The path could be very effectively maintained and marked; certainly, you’d must attempt arduous with a purpose to get misplaced on this one.
- Foot Visitors & Alternate Route: Throughout our mid-September hike, we solely noticed a few different folks doing the entire Redwood Creek Path. Plainly most people that go to the Tall Timber Grove, achieve this through the Tall Timber Entry Highway Trailhead. This different includes a four-mile (6.4 km) loop hike that features roughly 1,600 ft (487m) of elevation change.
- Landmarks (approx. distances from Trailhead Carpark): 1. Redwood Creek Crossing (1.6 mi/2.6 km); 2. Junction to Elan Camp (2.7 mi (4.4 km); 3. 44 Creek Bridge (6.7 mi/10.8 km); 4. Junction to 44 Camp (7.3 mi/11.7 km), and; 4. Starting of Tall Timber Grove Loop (7.6 mi/12.2 km)
- Mom Nature’s Pantheon: The Redwoods was the ultimate vacation spot of my 2021 US journey. I couldn’t have wished for a extra memorable finale. These primordial behemoths have been identified to reside as much as 3000 years, and are usually not solely the world’s tallest bushes but in addition the most important dwelling organisms on the planet. The Redwood area is a type of locations – just like the Grand Canyon, Iguazu Falls, or the Nice Barrier Reef – the place irrespective of how a lot you will have heard beforehand, irrespective of what number of mind-blowing photographs you will have seen in books or on-line, the truth will all the time exceed your expectations. Through the 4 days we spent mountaineering within the Redwoods, I’m positive I spent as a lot time gazing up in awe, as I did wanting on the path in entrance of me. Certainly, I can’t recall a spot that produces extra toe-stubbings and neck strains per mile than these historic coastal forests.
Tall Timber Grove
After roughly 7 miles (11.3 km) the path emerges from the forest onto the Redwood Creek gravel mattress. At this level head SSE and cross the watercourse – throughout the summer season there’s a seasonal footbridge – and re-enter the forest. You’re now within the Tall Timber Grove, which includes a 1.2 mile (1.9 km) neck-straining loop amongst among the most unimaginable redwoods in your complete area. It was so extraordinary I did it twice – as soon as round sundown on day 1, and once more the next morning.
- Dispersed Tenting: Redwood Creek is the one place within the Redwood Nationwide park the place “dispersed tenting” is permitted. Backpackers can camp anyplace alongside the gravel creekbed so long as it’s upstream of the primary creek crossing (1.6 mi/2.6 km from the trailhead), and no nearer than a quarter-mile (400 m) to the hike’s turnaround level on the Tall Timber Grove.
Facet Journey/Bonus Trek: Girl Fowl Johnson Grove Path
Positioned lower than three miles (4.8 km) drive away from the Redwood Creek Trailhead is the Girl Fowl Johnson Grove Path. At only one.4 miles (2.3 km) in size, this stunning, gently-graded pathway is effectively price an hour of your time both pre or post-hike. It’s named after the previous first girl, who throughout her husband’s time in workplace, actively promoted the safety and creation of pure habitats. Listed below are some pictures from the quick stroll:
Gear Checklist – Redwoods (September 2021)
There are a handful of latest objects this time round, together with a canister range, the Lunar Solo shelter, the Montane Allez Micro Hoodie, and the Sony a6400 (18-135mm lens).
|ITEM||WT. (OZ)||SUB (oz)||SUB (kg)||COMMENTS|
|MLD Burn (38L/DCF)||16||Frameless backpack of selection because the 2000s. A bit of heavier, with extra bells and whistles than the unique fashions, however the slim profile nonetheless suits me completely. Total I’ve hiked greater than 20,000 miles carrying the Burn, and am now on my third mannequin.|
|Trash compactor bag (pack liner)||2|
|Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo||26||Thumbs up. Mild, simple to pitch, loads of house for one particular person, holds up effectively in a storm.|
|Pad – Thermarest NeoAir XLite – Giant (resized to simply below 150cm/5ft)||11.9||Transformed to huge mannequin a few years in the past – further width has been price weight penalty/ Resizing minimize weight from 16 oz to simply below 12 oz / Click on right here fo long-term overview of the small mannequin.|
|Quilt – Katabatic Alsek 22F||23.1||I’d usually go along with my artificial MLD quilt or the Katabatic Palisade 30F for the Redwoods. On this case, I had the Alsek with me as a result of that was what I used up in northern Alaska earlier in the summertime.|
|KITCHEN / H2O|
|LokSak 20×12 (Meals Bag)||1.2||Meals storage bag of selection because the 2000s. I usually hear folks complain concerning the seals breaking shortly, however I’ve all the time discovered them to be pretty sturdy (4 to six weeks of day by day use) in case you don’t overfill them.|
|Toaks 700ml Titanium Pot||3.1|
|SOTO Windmaster||3.4||In any case these years I lastly purchased a canister range. My mountaineering companions – AG, Mike & Naomi – all really helpful the SOTO, and after utilizing it for a month or so, I’d must concur. Tremendous fast, gentle, and environment friendly. A keeper.|
|Toaks Titanium Lengthy Dealt with Spoon||0.7||Prime-end wrapped in orange tape so I received’t lose it.|
|Reconstituted sports activities drink bottles (2)||2.4|
|FIRST AID / HYGIENE|
|Sunscreen (repackaged in tiny bottle)|
|Hand Sanitizer (repackaged in a dropper bottle)||I haven’t had a case of the backcountry trots since 1999 – I believe a giant motive is the diligent use of hand sanitizer.|
|Aquamira (repackaged in dropper bottles)|
|Toothpaste (mini tube)|
|Dental Floss||Doubles as stitching thread|
|Antiseptic Wipes (2)||Clear cuts and wounds|
|Triple Antibiotic Cream (tiny tube)|
|3M Micropore Medical Tape||Breathable, paper tape / Adheres effectively.|
|Rest room Paper|
|Stitching Needle||One-armed blind people can sew higher than me.|
|Tenacious Tape, Mini Tube Tremendous Glue (repairs)||To compensate for lack of stitching abilities|
|Lip Balm SPF 30||Saved with sunscreen & hand sanitizer in shoulder pocket.|
|Rain Pants – Montbell Versalite (Lge)||3.6||Light-weight, quick-drying, and a shocking quantity of heat for one thing that weighs lower than 4oz / Not tremendous sturdy, however high-quality for on-trail mountaineering.|
|Rain Jacket – Montbell Versalite (Lge)||7||After the Peak Dry Shell, my favourite Montbell rain jacket.|
|Insulation – Montane Allez Micro Hoodie (Lge)||6.7||Can’t say sufficient about this hoodie. Comprised of Polartec Energy Grid, I wore it day by day throughout my month up in Denali and Gates of the Arctic. Discovered it to be a perfect insulation layer for chilly/moist temps between low 30s to low 50s F (0°C-12°C).|
|Additional Socks – Darn Powerful Hiker Micro Crew||2.6|
|Soiled Woman Gaiters||1.3|
|Montbell Chameece Gloves||0.9||All-time favourite liner gloves. Very sturdy – I’ve had the identical pair since 2016.|
|Digital camera – Sony a6400 (18-135mm lens)||27.2||After (too) many hours of analysis, I lastly took the plunge and purchased a flowery(ish) digital camera. Nonetheless heaps to study concerning optimum settings.|
|Digital camera Case – MegaGear Neoprene||2.2|
|Telephone – iPhone 11||7.1|
|Otter Symmetry case for iPhone 11 (orange)||1.3|
|Trekking Pole – Montbell Alpine Carbon Pole Cam Lock||7.1||I put this flip-lock pole by the wringer up within the tussocks and river crossings of Denali & Gates of the Arctic. Double thumbs up.|
|Small DCF stuff sack – Hyperlite Mountain Gear (2)||0.6||Ditty bag / First Support / Toiletries|
|Six Moon Designs Pack Pod||1||Multi-use. At night time fill it with further garments and use it as a pillow.|
|Headlamp – Nitecore NU25||1.8||Wonderful rechargeable headlamp. More often than not I have a tendency to make use of the low pink setting to protect night time imaginative and prescient.|
|Swiss Military Basic||0.7|
|Small LokSaks for Valuables (2)||1||Safety for telephone, passport, and many others.|
|Potty Trowel – Deuce of Spades||0.6|
|BASE WEIGHT||TOTAL||10.5 lb||4.8 kg|
|Shorts – Patagonia Baggies 7″||6.7||Mountain climbing shorts of selection since 2015/16. Click on right here for my long-term overview.|
|Base layer – Montbell Merino Lengthy Sleeve Zip Neck||7.6||I’ve used this merino wool base layer (160g/m2) since 2016 for many of my hikes in chilly/moist circumstances (e.g. Tasmania, Scotland, New Zealand) / Not too thick/not too skinny, hotter than artificial equivalents when damp.|
|REI Merino Wool Liner socks||1.6||Nonetheless my favorite Merino liners after greater than a decade / Cheaper and extra sturdy than the large sock firms (Be aware: Although not as sturdy because the pre-2013 fashions)|
|Hat – Baseball cap||2.8|
|Sneakers – Brooks Cascadia 15 (dimension 12)||24.2||After utilizing the La Sportiva Extremely Raptors up in Alaska, I switched again to the Cascadias for the PNW. Been a daily consumer of the Cascadias because the third version. See right here for long-term overview.|
|Watch – Suunto Ambit3||3||Picked up final yr on particular. Person-friendly, rechargeable battery, GPS, and altimeter (when calibrated) very correct. That mentioned, I have a tendency to go away the GPS off so the battery usually lasts just a few weeks earlier than needing to be recharged.|
|Sun shades||0.8||UVA/UVB safety|
|TOTAL WEIGHT||13.2 lb||6 kg|
Disclosure: This submit incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which implies ‘The Mountain climbing Life’ receives a small fee if you buy an merchandise after clicking on one of many hyperlinks. This comes at no further value to the reader and helps to assist the web site in its persevering with aim to create high quality content material for backpackers and hikers.