Kalanggaman Island is formed like a chook, purpose why its title is derived from the native phrase “langgam” meaning chook. This sandbar off the coast of Palompon, Leyte has gained reputation lately, nevertheless it has lengthy been an area secret. Kalanggaman is hemmed in by palm-studded, cream sand and lapped by swirling, turquoise sea. It was already previous summer season after we visited, however this scruffy sandbar remained stunningly stunning and blissfully devoid of luxurious trappings. It’s a bit crowded as a result of the vacation, however we nonetheless managed to snag a spot.
Unknown to many vacationers, Kalanggaman Island’s actual gem is hidden beneath. This well-known sandbar is definitely a marine sanctuary oozing with beautiful marine life and corals. In truth, it’s a well-known dive spots for divers coming from Malapascua Island, which is about 2 hours away by boat. When you don’t know the right way to dive, you may snorkel within the reef drop-off close to its shore. Right here’s my Kalanggaman Island Journey Information with itinerary and funds that will help you plan your journey.
KALANGGAMAN PRE-TRIP PLANNING
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT KALANGGAMAN ISLAND : The very best time to go to Kalanggaman Island is through the summer season season, from March to Could. You may additionally journey to Kalanggaman from November to February however attempt to keep away from the months of June to October as a result of wet season and attainable storms. Greatest to verify the climate updates in your security.
WHAT TO BRING IN KALANGGAMAN ISLAND:
Carry meals and drinks. There’s no restaurant within the island, only one retailer.
Carry energy financial institution as there isn’t a electrical energy in Kalanggaman Island.
Carry coral-friendly sunblock and put on aqua sneakers.
If you wish to keep in a single day, you may deliver your tent or lease a tent forPHP 400/USD 7/EURO 6/SGD 10/MYR 30 per tent.
When you plan to snorkel, you may deliver your snorkel gears or lease one from the boat operator or touts. Price is PHP 100/USD 2/EURO 2/SGD 3/MYR 8 – PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11.
ATMs IN KALANGGAMAN ISLAND : No ATMs in Kalanggaman Island, so stack up money. You possibly can withdraw money in Palompon or Bogo.
MOBILE SIGNAL : There’s a cell sign, nevertheless information is intermittent. When you want a pocket Wi-Fi whereas touring within the Philippines, you may RESERVE HERE.
BATHROOMS and TOILETS : There are altering rooms in Kalanggaman Island and bathrooms however there’s no freshwater, solely saline water. So, if it’s worthwhile to take a bathe, higher do it in Palompon. Anyway, cleaning soap, shampoos and detergents are strictly prohibited in Kalanggaman.
SAFETY IN KALAGGAMAN ISLAND : Throughout our go to, there have been cops in Kalanggaman Island. Undecided if they’re really stationed there or they have been stationed there as a result of there have been plenty of vacationers because it’s a vacation. The island is fairly protected for vacationers, nevertheless, comply with the swimming protocols in your personal security. Your boatman or tour information ought to instruct you as quickly as you arrive in Kalanggaman. There’s additionally a medic station in case of untoward incidents. Only a reminder:
Do NOT swim within the sandbar space due to the harmful rip currents. I used to be instructed there have been vacationers who drowned there even throughout our go to! There’s an space the place it’s protected to swim, however not across the sandbar!
Put on life jacket when snorkeling in your security. There’s an space the place you may snorkel.
Don’t go away your issues unattended.
HOW TO GET TO KALANGGAMAN
MANILA to KALANGGAMAN ISLAND
Possibility 1 : Tacloban to Kalanggaman Island
- From Manila, fly to Tacloban, Leyte. You possibly can SEARCH CHEAP FLIGHTS HERE.
- In Tacloban, go to Duptours or Van Vans Terminal.
You possibly can go there by tricycle in case you are already in Tacloban.
However in case you are coming from Tacloban Airport because it’s fairly removed from the town middle, you may take a tricycle to the van terminal (Duptours or Van Vans) for roughly PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11. Alternatively, you might also take a taxi for roughly PHP 300/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 23. The most affordable option to Tacloban Airport is by multi-cab to downtown Tacloban.
3. At Duptours or Van Vans Terminal, journey a van to Palompon, Leyte. Fare is aboutPHP 154/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 12. Journey time is 3.5 hours.
4. Get off at Palompon, Leyte.
5. Stroll or journey a pedicab to the close by Palompon Tourism Workplace positioned within the Freedom Park beside the Palompon Municipal City Corridor.
6. Register and rent a ship to Kalanggaman Island. Boat rental from Palompon to Kalanggaman Island:
- PHP 3,000/USD 56/EURO 48/SGD 77/MYR 228 – good for 15 individuals
- PHP 3,500/USD 66/EURO 56/SGD 89/MYR 266 – good for 25 individuals
- PPHP 4,000/USD 75/EURO 64/SGD 102/MYR 304 – good for 30 individuals
See different Kalanggaman Charges on the desk beneath.
IMPORTANT: Final journey of vans from Palompon, Leyte is at 4:30 PM. So, if you wish to keep in a single day in Palompon or Tacloban, be sure to are already on the van terminal at the least by 4:00 PM so that you received’t miss the final journey.
Possibility 2: Ormoc to Kalanggaman Island
There’s no continuous flight from Manila to Ormoc, it’s important to fly to Cebu Metropolis first. From Cebu Metropolis, you may fly to Ormoc, Leyte. SEARCH FOR FLIGHTS HERE.
NOTE: You may also go to Ormoc from Cebu by quick craft. See instructions from Cebu to Kalanggaman through Ormoc beneath.
- From Ormoc Airport, go to Ormoc van and bus terminal positioned behind the pier in entrance of the Ormoc Metropolis Park.
2. Trip a van or bus to Palompon Leyte. Journey time is roughly 1.5 hours and van fare is round PHP 110/USD 2/EURO 2/SGD 3/MYR 8.
3. Get off at Palompon.
4. Stroll or journey a pedicab to Palompon Tourism Workplace. It’s positioned on the Freedom Park beside the Municipal City Corridor.
5. Register, lease a ship to Kalanggaman Island and pay the doorway charges on the Palompon Eco-Tourism Workplace. See the Kalanggaman Island charges beneath.
CEBU to KALANGGAMAN ISLAND
Possibility 1: Cebu Metropolis to Kalanggaman
1.From Cebu Metropolis, go to Pier 1 Cokaliong workplace and buy a ticket to Palompon, Leyte.
2. Trip the ferry from Cebu Metropolis to Palompon, Leyte. Journey time is about 5.5 hours. Fare begins at PHP 310/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 24.
Right here’s the Cokaliong Ferry schedule from Cebu Metropolis Pier 1 to Palompon. You possibly can double verify the schedule HERE
|MON, TUE, THUR, SAT||8:00 PM||1:30 AM||Economic system – PHP 310/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 24
Vacationer – PHP 510/USD 10/EURO 8/SGD 13/MYR 39
Cabin – PHP 785/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 60
Suite Room – PHP 1,995/USD 37/EURO 32/SGD 51/MYR 152 per room (good for two pax)
|SUNDAY||12:00 PM||06:00 PM||Economic system – PHP 310/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 24
Vacationer – PHP 510/USD 10/EURO 8/SGD 13/MYR 39
Cabin – PHP 785/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 60
Suite Room –
PHP 1,995/USD 37/EURO 32/SGD 51/MYR 152 per room (good for two pax)
- At Palompon, Leyte, stroll or take a pedicab to Palompon Eco-Tourism Workplace.
- Register, lease boat and pay entrance charges.
- Trip pump boat to Kalanggaman Island.
Whole Fare (one-way): PHP 310/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 24
Whole journey time: Roughly 5.5 hours + 1 hour boat journey to Kalanggaman
Possibility 2: Bago Metropolis to Kalanggaman Island
1.At North Bus Terminal in Cebu Metropolis, take a bus certain for Bogo Metropolis. Journey time is roughly 3 hours. Fare is roughly PHP 140/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11.
- Alight at Bogo and journey a tricycle to Polambato Port. Transit time is about 25 minutes and fare is PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11 per tricycle (good for 3-4 individuals).
- In Polambato Port, take a Tremendous Shuttle Ferry to Palompon. Right here’s the schedule:
Bogo Metropolis to Palompon, Leyte – Every day at 12:00 PM
Palompon to Bogo Metropolis – Every day at 7:30 AM
Tremendous Shuttle Ferry
Pier 8 Personal Pier
North Reclamation Space, Cebu Metropolis
(032) 232-3150, (032) 231-0639, (032) 234-4121, (032) 345-5581)
- At Palompon, stroll or journey a pedicab to Palompon Tourism Workplace.
- Register, pay charges and lease a ship to Kalanggaman Island.
- Take boat to Kalanggaman Island. See boat rental beneath.
Possibility 3: Cebu Metropolis to Kalanggaman Island through Ormoc
1. In Cebu Metropolis, go to Cebu Metropolis Pier 1.
2. Buy a ticket to Ormoc. Fare begins at PHP 1000/USD 19/EURO 16/SGD 26/MYR 76. However you may guide a reduced ticket prematurely by the hyperlink beneath. Journey time is roughly 2 hours and half-hour.
CHECK FERRY SCHEDULE + BOOK DISCOUNTED FERRY TICKET HERE
3. As soon as you might be in Ormoc Pier. Exit the gate and cross to the van and bus terminal in entrance of the Ormoc Metropolis Park.
4. Trip the van to Palompon, Leyte. Journey time from Ormoc to Palompon is roughly 1.5 hours and van fare is aboutPHP 110/USD 2/EURO 2/SGD 3/MYR 8.
5. Alight at Palompon. Stroll or journey a pedicab to Palompon Tourism Workplace. It’s positioned on the Freedom Park beside the Municipal City Corridor.
6. Register, lease a ship to Kalanggaman Island and pay the doorway charges on the Palompon Tourism Workplace. See the Kalanggaman Island boat charges and entrance charges beneath.
Whole Fare (one-way): PHP 1,100/USD 21/EURO 18/SGD 28/MYR 84
Transit Time: 4 hours + 1-hour boat journey to Kalanggaman Island
Possibility 4: MALAPASCUA to KALANGGAMAN ISLAND
1. The most affordable approach in case you are alone or a small group is to hitch the Malapascua tour bundle to Kalanggaman for PHP 800/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 61 per individual (lunch included + roundtrip fare). Prepare this tour with a tout for the journey subsequent day. Often begins at 9:00 AM.
TIP: If you’re giant group (15 pax or up), you may lease a ship to Kalanggaman Island for PHP 7,000/USD 131/EURO 112/SGD 179/MYR 533.
- Trip the big outrigger boat to Kalanggaman Island. Journey time from Malapascua to Kalanggaman Island is about 2 hours.
- Get off at Kalanggaman Island. Pay the doorway charge. See charges beneath.
- Going again, be sure to hearken to your boatman, tour information about what time the boat will go away and bear in mind the title of your boat.
Whole Journey Time: 2 hours
Whole Fare: PHP 800/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 61
ALSO READ: MALAPASCUA ISLAND TRAVEL GUIDE
NAVAL, BILIRAN TO KALANGGAMAN ISLAND
- If you’re coming from Naval, Biliran, journey a van to Ormoc. Journey time is about 1.5 hours. Fare is roughly PHP 100/USD 2/EURO 2/SGD 3/MYR 8.
2. Get off at Libungao Junction. Inform the motive force to drop you off there.
3. At Libungao Junction, take one other van to Palompon, Leyte. Fare is PHP 90/USD 2/EURO 1/SGD 2/MYR 7 and transit time is roughly 1 hour.
- Alight at Palompon, Leyte.
5. Stroll or take a pedicab to Palompon Tourism Workplace.
6. Register and pay the charges + boat rental. Confer with the Kalanggaman Island charges beneath.
Whole Fare (one-way): PHP 190/USD 4/EURO 3/SGD 5/MYR 14.
Whole Journey Time: About 2.5 hours + about 1 hour boat journey to Kalanggaman
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND BOAT RENTAL
Right here’s the record of boat rental charges from Palompon, Leyte to Kalanggaman Island :
|BOAT CAPACITY||KALANGGAMAN ISLAND BOAT RENTAL|
|Good for 15 individuals||PHP 3,000/USD 56/EURO 48/SGD 77/MYR 228|
|Good for 25 individuals||PHP 3,500/USD 66/EURO 56/SGD 89/MYR 266|
|Good for 30 individuals||PHP 4,000/USD 75/EURO 64/SGD 102/MYR 304|
NOTE: If coming from Malapascua Island to Kalanggaman Island, boat rental (roundtrip) is roughly PHP 7,500/USD 140/EURO 120/SGD 192/MYR 570. Capability is round 25 individuals. The small boat for PHP 3,000 is now not allowed as a result of giant waves.
If you’re a solo traveler , part of two or a small group, you may be a part of group excursions in Malapascua Island to Kalanggaman Island, commonplace price is PHP 800/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 61 per individual. A tout normally approaches vacationers and presents day excursions to Kalanggaman Island. That is how we bought our day tour to Kalanggaman Island. A tout/excursions information approached us as quickly as we arrived in Malapascua and provided us the tour bundle to Kalanggaman Island. You may also inquire at your lodge. The Kalanggaman tour bundle from Malapascua already consists of lunch and roundtrip fare between the two islands, however entrance charge will not be but included. Confer with the desk of Kalanggaman entrance charge beneath.
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND FEES
Right here’s the doorway charge for Kalanggaman day excursions:
|VISITORS||KALANGGAMAN ISLAND DAY TOUR RATES|
|Native Vacationers||PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11|
|Worldwide Vacationers||PHP 500/USD 9/EURO 8/SGD 13/MYR 38|
|Senior Residents||PHP 120/USD 2/EURO 2/SGD 3/MYR 9|
|Faculty College students||PHP 40/USD 0.75/EURO 0.64/SGD 1/MYR 3|
|Excessive College College students||PHP 30/USD 0.56/EURO 0.48/SGD 0.77/MYR 2.28|
|Elementary College students||PHP 20/USD 0.27/EURO 0.32/SGD 0.51/MYR 2|
And right here’s the record of entrance charges for Kalanggaman Island in a single day excursions/tenting:
|VISITORS||KALANGGAMAN ISLAND OVERNIGHT CAMPING FEES|
|Worldwide Vacationers||PHP 750/USD 14/EURO 12/SGD 19/MYR 57|
|Native vacationers||PHP 225/USD 4/EURO 4/SGD 6/MYR 17|
|Senior Residents||PHP 180/USD 3/EURO 3/SGD 5/MYR 14|
|Faculty college students||PHP 60/USD 1/EURO 0.96/SGD 2/MYR 5|
|Excessive College college students||PHP 45/USD 0.84/EURO 0.72/SGD 1/MYR 3|
|Elementary College students||PHP 30/USD 0.56/EURO 0.48/SGD 0.77/MYR 2.28|
Right here’s the Kalanggaman Island cottage rental charges, tent leases in addition to chairs and desk leases:
|COTTAGE CAPACITY||KALANGGAMAN COTTAGE RENTAL|
|15 individuals||PHP 250/USD 5/EURO 4/SGD 6/MYR 19|
|25 individuals||PHP 500/USD 9/EURO 8/SGD 13/MYR 38|
|30 individuals||PHP 700/USD 13/EURO 11/SGD 18/MYR 1|
If there’s no extra cottage in Kalanggaman Island (particularly should you go to throughout holidays or weekend), or in case you are on a funds, you may lease a desk and a few chairs as an alternative:
PHP 30/USD 0.56/EURO 0.48/SGD 0.77/MYR 2.28 – desk rental
PHP 10 – chair rental
If you wish to keep in a single day in Kalanggaman Island, you may deliver your personal tent or lease a tent.
PHP 400/USD 7/EURO 6/SGD 10/MYR 30 – tent rental
You possibly can contact Palompon Eco-Tourism by the next contact numbers for extra particulars:
Cell (Sensible): +63 998 5551421
Cell (Globe): +63 926 8164007
Cell (Globe): +63 926 8164005
Landline: (053) 555 9731
THINGS TO DO IN KALANGGAMAN
SWIMMING – Don’t swim close to the sandbar. Ask your boatman concerning the protected space for swimming.
SNORKELING – Carry your personal snorkeling gear or lease one kind your boatman for about PHP 100- PHP 150
BANANA BOAT –PHP 500/USD 9/EURO 8/SGD 13/MYR 38 (good for five individuals)
KAYAKING – PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11 per hour
DIVING – Dive Information PHP 800/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 61
Dive Gears (Worldwide Vacationers) : PHP 1000/USD 19/EURO 16/SGD 26/MYR 76
(Native Vacationers): PHP 800/USD 15/EURO 13/SGD 20/MYR 61
WHERE TO STAY IN KALANGGAMAN ISLAND
There aren’t any resorts or first rate rooms in Kalanggaman Island. When you plan to remain right here in a single day, your solely choice is to go tenting. You possibly can deliver your personal tent and pay the in a single day tenting charge (see charges beneath). Or you might lease a tent for PHP 400.
Alternatively, you might keep in a single day in Palompon, Ormoc or Leyte. Listed here are some funds inns in Leyte:
1. PALOMPON BUDGET HOTEL
2. ORMOC BUDGET HOTELS
Oriental Pension Plaza
Rizal Avenue, Ormoc Metropolis, Barangay 24, Ormoc
Ormoc Villa Lodge
Obrero nook San Pedro Avenue, Ormoc Metropolis, Barangay 13, Ormoc
Actual cor. Solidad Streets, Ormoc, Leyte, Barangay 14, Ormoc
Lodge Don Felipe
Inaki A. Larrazabal St. cor Bonifacio St.Ormoc Metropolis, Barangay 3, Ormoc, Philippines
3. TACLOBAN BUDGET HOTELS
Duptours Compound, Santo Niño Avenue, Barangay 45, Tacloban Metropolis
I keep right here at any time when I’m in Tacloban, as a result of it’s conveniently positioned behind Duptours van terminal. The rooms are fairly clear and the employees are useful.
Z Pad Residences
Dadison St., Tacloban Metropolis, Leyte, Barangay 66-A, Tacloban Metropolis
CLN Boutique Lodge
CLN Constructing, Maharlika Freeway, Brgy, 91, Abucay, Barangay 91, Tacloban Metropolis
# 400 Brgy.50, Cor. Actual St. & Independencia St. Tacloban Metropolis, Barangay 66, Tacloban Metropolis
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND ITINERARY + BUDGET
Right here’s a pattern Kalanggaman day tour itinerary with funds. This pattern itinerary is from Tacloban to Kalanggaman.
|07:30 AM||ETA van terminal (Duptours or Van Vans), PHP 10|
|08:00 AM||Trip Van to Palompon, Leyte, PHP 154|
|11:30 AM||ETA Palompon, Leyte.|
|11:35 AM||Go to Palompon Eco-Tourism Workplace. Register and pay the charges. PHP 3,000 for boat + PHP 150 for entrance charge.|
|12:35 PM||ETA Kalanggaman Island.|
|01:30 PM||Swimming, snorkeling and picture op.|
|03:00 PM||ETD for Palompon|
|04:00 PM||ETA Palompon. Bathe and alter garments.|
|04:15 PM||Van terminal to Tacloban (or Ormoc).|
|04:30 PM||ETD for Tacloban, PHP 154|
|07:30 PM||ETA Tacloban.|
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND BREAKDOWN OF EXPENSES
Right here’s a listing of estimated bills for a Kalanggaman day tour from Tacloban, good for a solo traveler.
|Van fare to Palompon||PHP 154/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 12|
|Van fare to Tacloban||PHP 154/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 12|
|Boat Rental (good for 15 pax)||PHP 3,000/USD 56/EURO 48/SGD 77/MYR 228|
|Day tour entrance charge||PHP 150/USD 3/EURO 2/SGD 4/MYR 11|
|Whole Bills||PHP 3,458/USD 65/EURO 55/SGD 88/MYR 263|
*Lunch and airfare not included within the calculation.
Funds is approach decrease in case you are touring with somebody or you might be becoming a member of a gaggle. So, in case you are a celebration of two, estimated bills is round PHP 1,958/USD 37/EURO 32/SGD 50/MYR 149 per individual. If 4 folks, round PHP 1,208/USD 23/EURO 19/SGD 31/MYR 92 per individual.
KALANGGAMAN SIDE TRIPS
You may also go island hopping in Cuatro Islas (Tres Island Tour):
- Digyo Island
- Mahaba Island
- Apid Island
- Himokilan Island
Boat rental is PHP 2,500 – PHP 3,000 + PHP 50 per individual environmental charge.
2. MALAPASCUA ISLAND
From Kalaggaman Island, there are direct boats to Malapascua Island. You possibly can strategy a boatman (normally they’ve bundle excursions between Malapascua and Kalanggaman Island), so you may be a part of the boat going again to Malapascua Island for a charge. Often, day excursions for Kalanggaman Island from Malapascua is PHP 800 per individual. Journey time is roughly 2 hours.
I’ll write an up to date submit about Biliran. Within the meantime, you may verify my outdated submit right here: BILIRAN TRAVEL GUIDE.
KALANGGAMAN TRAVEL TIPS + REMINDERS
Once more, DO NOT SWIM IN THE SANDBAR. It isn’t protected due to the hazardous riptides. Many have drowned right here. Observe the instruction of your tour information or boatman on the place to swim!
Put on coral-friendly sunblock.
There’s a grilling station in Kalanggaman that you need to use without spending a dime.
No electrical energy within the island, so cost your devices, deliver additional batteries and produce an influence financial institution.
Cell sign is offered, however information is intermittent.
Please do. Not go away your trash! Take your trash with you and segregate! A employees of the eco-tourism of Kalanggaman offers every boat a white and black trash bag to segregate your trash into biodegradable and non-biodegradable.
Follow go away no hint, please! Don’t take residence sand as memento.
CEBU TRAVEL GUIDE
In regards to the Blogger : Gael is a Filipina journey blogger. Her work has appeared in native and worldwide publications.
Observe her on [wp-svg-icons icon=”facebook-2″ wrap=”i”] Fb , [wp-svg-icons icon=”twitter” wrap=”i”] Twitter and [wp-svg-icons icon=”instagram” wrap=”i”] Instagram.
For ads, sponsorship and partnerships, you might attain her at gaelhilotinblog (at) gmail (dot) com.
LIKE MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK FOR TRAVEL GUIDE UPDATES
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM
Watch my newest [wp-svg-icons icon=”youtube” wrap=”i”] Youtube video.
Don’t neglect to click on [wp-svg-icons icon=”point-right” wrap=”i”] SUBSCRIBE HERE