Planning a winter street journey within the UK? Questioning whether or not you must head for the Northern Lights in Scotland, the snow-capped peaks in Wales, or use the time to go to well-liked places like Cornwall or the Lake District? We’ve lined one of the best routes that can assist you select your excellent UK winter street journey.
Don’t neglect to seize your FREE street journey planner beneath to assist maintain you organised.
*We work laborious to make this one of the best motorhome weblog and street journey web site doable, stuffed with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so should you purchase by hyperlinks on this website we might earn a commission- at no additional value to you. All opinions stay our personal.
In case you discover this submit helpful, you can even deal with us to a espresso on the backside of this page- we promise to take pleasure in it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we would even take pleasure in a biscuit (or two!)
Why do a winter street journey within the UK?
Most individuals assume you can’t go winter motorhoming or take pleasure in a street journey throughout a UK winter. However it’s really top-of-the-line occasions to discover the British Isles- quieter roads, unbelievable surroundings and quick access to most of the lovely Nationwide Parks we’ve on our doorstep.
Even higher, many motorhome websites or camp grounds have diminished costs, as do many prime points of interest, so it actually is a superb time to discover.
All it is advisable to do is ensure that your automobile is appropriate for winter street journeys, gown up warmly after which head out in your winter journey!
One of the best UK winter street journey routes you’ll be able to’t miss
All of us have totally different priorities. That’s one of many issues I really like a lot about street trips- the liberty to benefit from the belongings you like.
Even higher, the UK has LOADS to take pleasure in throughout winter, together with world-class Christmas markets, winter festivals, meals festivals, snow sports activities and unbelievable strolling over moors and hills.
We’ve chosen quite a lot of winter street journey concepts that can assist you select the right possibility for you. In fact, you’ll be able to decide and select or mix ones to create your excellent winter getaway.
Suggestions for driving in winter
In case you’re planning a winter street journey, there’s not a lot distinction from planning a UK street journey at every other time of the yr, however you do want to verify of some issues.
- Ensure that your automobile has been checked/ serviced and is able to coping with colder climate
- In case you’re travelling in a van, ensure that your motorhome heating is working.
- Ensure that your tyres are secure and appropriate for the roads. Even when there’s no snow, you’ll be able to count on to drive in heavy rain sooner or later in your journey
- Examine windscreen wipers and screenwash ranges
- Carry drink and snacks with you
- In case you’re not planning a motorhome journey, remember to carry a thermos of scorching drink or a range and kettle, simply in case you get caught someplace chilly. Additionally, have a few blankets with you too.
- Ensure that your telephones are charged and ideally use a correct sat-nav with site visitors updates so you’ll be able to see if a street turns into blocked or closed.
One of the best winter street journey to see the Northern Lights
Among the best-kept secrets and techniques in northern UK is you can typically see the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) from up there.
Positive, they’re not as constant as a few of the different greatest locations in Europe to see the Northern Lights, but when they’re in your bucket checklist, it’s time to go north throughout winter.
Scotland Northern Lights Winter Street Journey
Whole Distance: 516 miles
Really helpful No. of Days: 4-5 days
Greatest time to go to: December, January, February
For one of the best probability of seeing the Northern Lights in Scotland, you’ll need to go as far north as doable. The additional north you will get in your winter street journey, the higher.
In case you’re driving a motorhome or campervan, chances are you’ll need to mix this with a NC500 motorhome tour which fits alongside the northern coast.
Cease at locations like Sango Sands or Dunnet Bay close to John o’Groats, however ideally you’ll need to get even additional north. Orkney is definitely accessible on a street journey, even should you simply go to for a few days.
One of the best time to see the Northern Lights is between October and March. In case you’re hoping to see them from Scotland or a few of the northern Isles, November to February is your greatest wager. Simply ensure that to wrap up warmly- one of the best nights to see them are clear and chilly!
In case you’re in a motorhome or campervan, these are the North Coast 500 campsites open all yr.
In case you’d wish to discover extra , right here’s the one NC500 itinerary and route planner you want.
One of the best UK winter street journey concepts for Christmas Markets
We’re fortunate that there’s a first rate Christmas Market in nearly each massive UK city or metropolis.
Relatively than go to your native one once more, why not make a weekend of it and go to some additional afield?
Practically all have a campsite open all yr close by for motorhome holidays or campervan excursions, or there are mattress and breakfasts in each place so that you can keep in your street journey.
Most UK Christmas Markets are open from final November, however some don’t open till mid-December, so remember to verify earlier than you begin your winter street journey.
Three UK street journey routes to see Christmas Markets
- Begin in Winchester (the Winchester Christmas Market is without doubt one of the greatest in England) and revel in exploring the town.
- Then head to Salisbury, the place you’ll discover one other unbelievable Christmas Market
- From right here, you’ll be able to head to the Cotswolds, that are a few of the most picturesque villages within the UK, or you’ll be able to go to Tub, which is superb at any time however particularly good at Christmas.
- Begin on the Christmas Market in Birmingham, which is without doubt one of the largest Christmas markets within the UK and the most important genuine German market exterior of Austria or Germany.
- From right here, proceed your England street journey and head to Stratford upon Avon, Warwick or Royal Leamington Spa for extra conventional Christmas celebrations, or head to Lincoln, dwelling of the oldest Christmas Market within the UK.
- Edinburgh is without doubt one of the greatest cities to go to round Christmas time- the markets listed below are legendary.
- Though this can be a excellent spot to cease on a Scotland street journey, you possibly can additionally use it because the northern level of your winter street journey route, and head south to Newcastle or Durham.
- After exploring these great cities, head to Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool for extra large festivities.
In fact, you possibly can simply spend a weekend street journey simply in London, exploring the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park and all of the smaller Christmas Markets across the metropolis.
Greatest Winter street journeys for mountaineering and outdoor
The UK has some fabulous Nationwide Parks, that are open all yr. Throughout summer time months, they will get very crowded, however throughout winter you’ll be able to typically have locations all to your self!
In case you’re dwelling in a van over winter, don’t neglect that many Nationwide Parks have in a single day parking restrictions, so remember to comply with these. Right here’s methods to discover locations to remain in a single day.
Northern Eire Winter Street Journey
Whole Distance: 220 miles
Really helpful No. of Days: 2-3 days
Greatest time to go to: November, December, January, February, March
The Causeway Coastal Route is without doubt one of the greatest winter street journeys in Northern Eire. Highlights embrace:
- Giants Causeway
- Carrick-a-rede rope bridge
- Dunluce Citadel
- Darkish Hedges
Winter street journey route concept
- Begin your Eire street journey by visiting the well-known Giants Causeway. It’s a few 90-minute drive from Belfast and attempt to get there as early as doable.
- Go to close by Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. In summer time the queues could be prolonged, however in winter you shouldn’t have to attend lengthy.
- One other distinctive cease is the clifftop ruins of Dunluce Citadel which dangle above the ocean beneath.
- Don’t miss the Darkish Hedges. This street options in Recreation of Thrones and is without doubt one of the most lovely roads in Eire. It was surprisingly badly signposted after we visited, so don’t miss it. In case you’re motorhoming in Eire you’ll be able to’t drive down it- I’m not even positive you’ll make it in a campervan!
How lengthy does it take to drive the Causeway coastal route?
You’ll be able to comfortably drive the entire route in a single weekend because it’s fairly a brief route- solely 200 miles. You’ll be able to really do it in a day should you actually push. Don’t miss the Titanic museum in Belfast- it’s unbelievable.
Yorkshire is the right winter street journey vacation spot. The moors look magical lined in snow however there are nonetheless loads of locations open all yr.
Highlights of a Yorkshire street journey embrace:
- Hardraw Power- England’s highest single-drop waterfall
- The longest present collapse England- White scar
- Ribblehead Viaduct
- Hogsmeade station (or at the least the station which performed it in Harry Potter!)
- Quite a few castles and ruins
Yorkshire Street Journey Itinerary concepts
Begin your street journey within the lovely Yorkshire Dales. Go to the eleventh century Skipton Citadel or go underground to see the formations in White Scar Caves, the longest present collapse England.
Go to the waterfalls of Ingleton, Aysgarth Falls or Hardraw Power- England’s highest single-drop waterfall. These are much more spectacular in winter with the elevated rainfall.
Earlier than leaving the Dales, go to the unbelievable monastic ruins and landscaped gardens of Fountains Abbey.
Subsequent, head to the town of York. You’ll be able to go to Viking, Roman, Georgian and Victorian websites all in sooner or later! Don’t miss a stroll alongside the cobbled Shambles, which has typically been voted the ‘Greatest Avenue in Britain.’
Lastly, head out onto the moors. Cease at Goathland prepare station (Hogsmeade station within the Harry Potter films.)
Alternatively, stretch your legs with a hike on the Gap of Horcum, an enormous historical pure amphitheatre.
In case you’re searching for a weekend UK street journey concept, head to one of many prettiest Nationwide Parks within the UK- Snowdonia in Wales.
Snowdonia is definitely a part of two of the Wales Means driving routes– North and Cambrian and it’s straightforward to see why.
Just about all the pieces in Snowdonia entails being outdoor, so be sure you convey applicable clothes for the time of yr. In winter, you’re prone to get rain, chilly and really probably snow.
There are many nice roads with spectacular surroundings and the celebs at night time are unreal, particularly on a crisp Winter night time.
Planning a visit to Wales?
Seize your FREE information to the Wales Means street journey routes, together with:
- urged routes round Wales
- greatest locations to see in your journey
- campsites to remain at alongside the best way
- and different suggestions for touring Wales
One of the best winter street journey routes for well-liked UK locations
Winter is the right time to go to locations that are normally loopy busy.
Locations like Cornwall, Devon, the Lake District and the Cotswolds are a lot quieter and simpler to discover on the street journey.
Listed below are our favorite street journey concepts:
Cornwall is certainly one of our favorite locations to street journey in England. I spent 2 years dwelling there while I used to be within the Navy, and have been again many occasions since. There are many issues to do in Cornwall, however there are some necessary suggestions it is advisable to know earlier than you arrive!
Why is Cornwall top-of-the-line England street journeys?
If you’d like cute villages, unbelievable seashores and extra historical past than you’ll be able to shake a stick at, Cornwall is ideal. Though some locations do shut in winter, most of the principal points of interest stay open all yr, and the shortage of crowds makes it even higher.
How lengthy must you spend roadtripping Cornwall?
How lengthy is a bit of string!! However, as you’ll be able to see on our Cornish street journey itinerary, we advocate 7-10 days minimal to see all one of the best locations.
The place are one of the best locations to go to in Cornwall on a street journey?
A few of my absolute favorite locations in Cornwall embrace:
For a full checklist of one of the best locations to go to on a Cornwall street journey, go to our Cornwall Street Journey Itinerary & Information
Even in Winter, Devon is a unbelievable street journey vacation spot. It’s nonetheless stuffed with cute villages, lovely hills and seashores and loads of cafes!
Highlights and greatest locations to go to in Devon
My dad and mom dwell right here, so I’ve spent a variety of time exploring the county. A few of my favorite embrace:
- Dartmouth- top-of-the-line cities within the county. Rent a ship and discover the river.
- Paignton- the seashore with the purple sand
- Exmouth with its lovely painted homes
- Saunton Sands
- Fish and Chips from Squires in Braunton
- Salcombe Harbour
- Dulverton- head to the Copper Kettle tea room; you received’t remorse it!
See the total checklist of my favorite Devon street journey concepts right here.
The Lake District Nationwide Park is an ideal UK winter street journey concept. It has a few of the worlds greatest scenic drives and a visit alongside the Honister Cross and Kirkstone Cross are a must- though if it’s snowed closely they might be closed.
The Castlerigg stone circle can also be value a cease, as are the gorgeous cities of Keswick and Cockermouth.
Within the South Lakes, Grasmere (dwelling of William Wordsworth) is value visiting and should you love Beatrix Potter, you’ll be able to go to her dwelling in Hawkshead. There’s additionally Beatrix Potter World in Bowness- on- Windermere.
Another highlights for winter street journeys embrace:
- The most important pure lake within the UK, Lake Windermere. Some boat excursions run all yr however wrap up warmly
- The Punch Bowl Inn in Crosthwaite.
- Aira Power Waterfall
- The views at Derwentwater
Cotswolds – a magical UK winter street journey
The Cotswolds is the biggest Space of Excellent Pure Magnificence (AONB) in England and Wales and it appears to be like SPECTACULAR in winter.
Highlights & Greatest locations to go to within the Cotswolds and surrounding space
- The attractive stone villages of the Cotswolds (Bourton-on-the-Water is certainly one of my private favourites)
- go to the historic metropolis of Tub
- marvel on the mysterious historical stones of Stonehenge
- cease on the magnificent Salisbury Cathedral.
Wiltshire & Cotswolds winter street journey itinerary
- Ideally, spend 3-4 days exploring as many beautiful little cities and villages of the Cotswolds as you want to. Among the prettiest villages embrace Bibury, Stow-on-the-Wold, Decrease Slaughter, Bourton-on-the-Water and Citadel Combe.
- The historic metropolis of Tub is just a 30-minute drive from the village of Citadel Combe- nicely value a go to. Don’t miss visiting the Roman baths and having a cream tea within the tea rooms there.
- In case you have time, head East to Stonehenge. In case you’re in a motorhome or camper, you’ll be able to camp in a single day at Stonehenge (That is the place we noticed essentially the most INCREDIBLE dawn we’ve EVER seen. (Severely, watch the video. It’s breathtaking)
- From Stonehenge, it’s solely a 20-minute drive into the medieval city of Salisbury, the place you’ll be able to discover Salisbury Cathedral which has the tallest spire in all of Britain!
In case you’re planning a UK street journey, you may discover these posts useful: